Saturday, August 08, 2009

Rattlesnake, unicorn, monkey, monkey, underpants

The web is great, all hail the web: I was looking, last night, at a site called Someone Once Told Me, which has photos of people holding posterboards marked up with quotes they like. It was featured on BoingBoing. And one of the quotes was "rattlesnake, unicorn, monkey, monkey, underpants." Well, I had to know where THAT came from. And it came from the TV show Gilmore Girls. You can read the full quote here. I did. In fact I did an extemporaneous reading of it to my wife. I think the text is great because although we're not a full-on partisan Gilmore Girls family, I thought the words gave a huge sense of the two characters Rory and Lorelei, even through my lousy acting.

Tanya seemed to enjoy it...or maybe it was just that after playing Zen Gems for three hours straight, she was loopy and easily amused.

8/23/09: WHOOPS, I thought I'd linked to the actual quote, but I didn't. Here's the quote:

Rory: Sounds like you're over thinking this. Maybe if you just put pen to paper...
Lorelai: I tried that. I thought I'd just sit down and write…whatever comes...no judgment...no inner critic…ooh, was that a bad idea.
Rory: Really why?
Lorelai: Because my brain is a wild jungle full of scary gibberish…I'm writing a letter…I can't write a letter…why can't I write a letter?…I'm wearing a green dress...I wish I was wearing my blue dress...my blue dress is at the cleaners...the Germans wore grey...you wore blue...Casablanca, Casablanca...such a good movie...Casablanca...the White House...Bush...why don't I drive a hybrid car? I should really drive a hybrid car...I should really take my bicycle to work...bicycle, unicycle, unitard...hockey puck, rattle snake, monkey, monkey, underpants.
Rory: Hockey puck, rattle snake, monkey, monkey, underpants?
Lorelai: Exactly! That's what I'm saying. It's a big bag of weird in there. So I think, well I need inspiration, you know. I need a muse. Perhaps I need 'the' muse. Maybe it would help if Sharon Stone would appear to me in an alarming caftan and coo inspirational words in my ear.
Rory: Just write what you feel...that's all writing is. Hey, do you think there might be some reason why you are having trouble with this? I mean I would imagine that writing about Luke wouldn't be easy.
Lorelai: I know! You should write it.
Rory: What? No.
Lorelai: Yes! You are a wonderful writer. Everything you write is so good...your grocery lists are like shimmering Haikus.
Rory: Your write a pretty mean grocery list yourself and it doesn't have to shimmer. It just has to be authentic and real.

No comments:

Post a Comment