Monday, February 09, 2009

Angelfish vehicle idea


The Warhammer Tau army has a bunch of great vehicles. But there's one I don't like, the Sky Ray missile gunship. It's the third variation on the Devilfish body shape, and I don't want that many models with the same shape.

Meanwhile, there is a Devilfish but no Angelfish in the selection.

So I've long wanted to build an Angelfish vehicle, to replace the role of the Sky Ray. This is my sketch of what this would look like. I keep sketching it. I haven't built it yet. It's a crescent shape with various Tau bitz added on, and some stubby wings to hold the ubiquitous Tau drones.

I know it's pretty faint. I did the best I could to make it sharper.

I'd play this model as having the exact same stats as a Sky Ray, and hope that my opponent didn't mind. There's one thing that bothers me, though. This model is likely to have a much higher profile and sit tall on the battlefield, which might make it a target. It would be annoying to have made this unique model and then suffer for it in a game.

The idea of a vehicle named Angelfish, when there's already one named Devilfish, is pretty obvious, and I'm not the only person to think of it. Someone came up with a variant transport, based on a Tetra/Piranha body; here' s an info sheet for it, though I couldn't find a full-body picture.

1 comment:

  1. I like the design sketch. It reminds me of the spaceship in this drawing:

    http://antifan-real.deviantart.com/art/Arrival-10789423

    Which is a very cool image. It's funny that the game might punish the design for impractical physical dimensions--that's actually probably a good comment on the rules having a bit of realism.

    Which seems silly for Warhammer, now that I think about it. Orks in Space?

    ReplyDelete