Sunday, February 07, 2010

Can every app please copy Chrome's search?


There are so many things to like about the search function in the Google Chrome web browser:

  • At the touch of Ctrl-F, it appears as an embedded dialog box, tiny, in the upper-right of your window...rarely obscuring what you're searching through.
  • As soon as you type some text, it displays the number of hits, and tells you which hit you're on.
  • It has two small arrows, up and down. You can immediately go to the next or the previous hit. I love this. So often I search for something, and because I know the text, I know I need to go backwards to find it....something that often isn't easy to do.
Okay, I have to admit that this was a problem for me in Emacs, not because Emacs won't search backwards, but because I'd never learned that keystroke. So I just looked it up right now. I googled for 'emacs search backwards' and the answer was in the text that Google displayed for the first hit; I didn't even have to go to the page. Ctrl-s searches forward, Ctrl-r searches backward. Simple.

No comments:

Post a Comment