Monday, October 05, 2009

Reverse trick-or-treat for halloween



Image is 'Behind Door Number Three', a Creative Commons image from Flickr


Oh, man, I love this idea. It's a very meta sort of costume. I found this on MetaFilter, posted by "np312":


Here's a spin on reverse-trick-or-treating that I got a kick out of. I grew up in a college town, and one Halloween our doorbell rang and we opened the door expecting to see trickortreaters-- but what was in front of our open door--was another door! Like, a full-on wooden door, that had a sign that said "Please knock." So we did, and the door swung open to reveal a bunch of college dudes dressed as really old grandmothers, curlers in their hair, etc, who proceeded to coo over our "costumes" and tell us we were "such cute trick or treaters!" One even pinched my cheek. Then THEY gave US candy, closed their door, picked it up and walked to the next house.

It was amazing.


If you're interested in doing this sometime, let me know. Maybe I'll look for a free door on FreeCycle. (There's been word of controversy over FreeCycle recently; wikipedia has some info on it.)

My mind immediately turns to practicalities: doors are heavy, and you kinda need a frame. Maybe a set designer would have some good ideas. The door should probably be on wheels. Foamboard would be nice. Somebody should have a pickup truck. Have 'em drop you at a street or two, do about 10 houses, end up at a vehicle with a cooler full of drinks, and call it a night.

1 comment:

  1. This idea was awesome. Very clever. [reptih]

    ReplyDelete