Friday, October 30, 2009

_Powers: Who Killed Retro Girl?_ by Bendis and Oeming

Image from the Amazon page for the book, and linked there.

I recently reread this volume 1 of the Powers comic series written by Brian Michael Bendis and illustrated by Michael Avon Oeming.

I've been reading Powers for years now, faithfully buying each trade paperback volume as soon as it's available, and every book sustains multiple reads, some of the best value I get for my comics dollars.

Also, I like cop stories. The Powers premise is that it follows a couple of homicide detectives who investigate superhero-related murders. Underlying that is an anchoring of superpowers in everyday life; seeing superheroes with their pants down; hearing them curse like drunk sailors whose ship just sailed without them.

The Retro Girl story remains a great standalone book, showing off Bendis' dialogue and Oeming's cartoony style well. If you're just now cottoning on to the idea that comics aren't just for kids anymore, I highly recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment