Friday, July 10, 2009

Work in progress: Great Knarloc



I'm trying to sculpt a Great Knarloc, a riding beast used by the Kroot from Warhammer 40,000. It's basically a big featherless chicken that can kill you. Here's what they look like if you do a fantastic paint job.

These photos show the initial armature I made, and the first few layers of clay. It's pretty ugly right now, but I'm happy with how this one is turning out. I used photo reference (that's right, the hard part is finding a plucked chicken to work with...), but I'm doing a different pose.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, nice detail-work on the second photo. It's starting to look great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. IIRC, according to the last dinosaur book I read (which was very good) chickens are related to the Tyrannosaurus Rex. So a giant featherless man-eating chicken is basically a T-Rex, except that they're realizing a lot of dinosaurs actually had feathers. (But not T-Rexes, I believe.

    Oh, and the sculpt looks cool. I think most land animals with long necks tend to keep them help up high (that's why they've got long necks in the first place), but I take it this is a dramatic running pose, right? Very nice.

    ReplyDelete