Thursday, July 23, 2009

Two points of view in biology handily discussed

I was going to go contentious and label this post "Factions in Biology" but I know how creationists seize on disputes in science. Of course there are disputes in science. It's all about the latest evidence. Anyway: this article, The Genome: An Outsider's View, talks about how molecular biologists and natural history biologists come at the discipline from very different viewpoints, likening the two to the blind men viewing an elephant parable. It's an instructive idea and a nice piece of science writing.

1 comment:

  1. This was an interesting article.

    I still struggle to wrap my head around cladistics and the associated diagrams the way I struggle to think of our solar system as having eight planets and three or more dwarf planets.

    ReplyDelete