Thursday, June 25, 2009

Games are expensive, except used

Went to visit my sister a couple of weekends ago, and my brother in law bought a copy of Ticket to Ride while we were there. We played and enjoyed it, but it was $50, which is the price of a lot of big boxed games now. That pushes my curmudgeon buttons, makes me want to pick up a cane and tell the kids to get off my lawn.

But yesterday I popped into Goodwill and found a copy of the Order of the Stick board game for $4, so I feel much better. There are lots of games out there I'd like to try, and if other people will just buy then and then get rid of them, I can get round to trying them.

Of course my family is going away on a trip so I won't get to try the game out with them for a bit.

We've had good luck with finding games at garage sales and Goodwill and such. When they show up used, they're usually priced pretty low.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, I never find anything like that at Goodwill or garage sales.

    Then again, I rarely shop Goodwill or Garage sales, so that could be the problem.

    But speaking of games and good deals, somebody is getting a surprise when I come to Austin. Found a copy of something I already owned at a price too good to pass up, as I think you'll like it as well. Brand new, but should invoke nostalgia.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You pro'lly already know of these, but Dave likes Boards & Bits and Thoughthammer (websites) for getting new games cheaper than they can be purchased from local stores (which is unfortunate but how things are).

    ReplyDelete