Friday, January 22, 2010

Why don't you have a job as a mad scientist, daddy?

This'll give you an idea of what we talk about around our house. The other day I was driving 4-year-old Lily to school and she asked me, "Why don't you have a job as a mad scientist, daddy?"

On a previous trip she asked me whether the dinosaurs made us. When I asked her why, she said because they came before us. Her teacher told her so. When I said no, the dinosaurs didn't make us, she asked if it was the space aliens. She became quite insistent that either the dinosaurs or the space aliens made us.

In each case I realized that it was likely, based on what she heard around her, that she'd decided that mad scientists and space aliens were real. It was hard to crush those dreams so early.

Actually she just ran through the house as I wrote this. "Whatcha doin'?" I ask.

"I'm ekscaping from the evil master!" she says, and runs out.

3 comments:

  1. It is fun to think about keeping the Mad Scientist myth alive for awhile. Tell her you ARE in fact a Mad Scientist. Occasionally wear a lab coat, rubber gloves, and goggles when you take her to school. Laugh maniacally now and then...

    Hey, it wouldn't be any worse than the whole Santa Claus / Easter Bunny thing, right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. What are you suggesting? That I have a lab coat, rubber gloves, and goggles ready in my closet for daily wear?

    Well, I do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I still believe in Mad scientists. Are you suggesting they don't exist? :o)

    ReplyDelete