Sunday, September 06, 2009

NASWC neighborhood bird walk


I took Chloe to pal Mikael's bird walk this morning; we spent two hours on a nice paved trail whose existence I had not previously suspected.

These are the birds I got good looks at. It was a great outing. It's fantastic to see so many different species on a leisurely walk:

  • Summer tanager
  • House wren
  • Unidentified hummingbird
  • White winged dove
  • American Redstart (I never heard of this one, it was pretty interesting-looking.)
  • Wilson's Warbler
  • M, F Cardinal
  • Blue Jay
  • M, F Lesser Goldfinch
  • F Hummingbird...black chinned or ruby-throated
  • Least Flycatcher
  • Eastern Phoebe
  • Great Blue Heron
  • Killdeer
  • Barn Swallow
  • Bell's Vireo
  • Ladderback Woodpecker
We also got to watch a kit of about 20 Birmingham Roller (I'm assuming) pigeons, who flew in circles around their presumed home, with birds frequently rolling out of the kit and returning. I identified them as rollers by their behavior. I think Mikael said he'd talked to the fellow who owns them in the neighborhood. I held forth a bit for the group on the strength of my dad having kept rollers all during my childhood, and the fact that nothing I said could be contradicted by a far-off view of the birds through binoculars. :)
    Chloe managed to find two tiny frogs or toads, smaller than my thumbnail, and a skink no longer than my index finger. I got a picture of the skink on my cell phone. I never got close enough to any birds to photograph them with the phone.


      Here's a link to Mikael's blog post on the morning's walk.

        No comments:

        Post a Comment