Sunday, March 28, 2010

_Gunnerkrigg Court, Volume I, Orientation


I was pleasantly surprised to see a full-color volume of the webcomic Gunnerkrigg Court at my local library. I shouldn't be surprised; lots of webcomics have books out; but I'm still getting used to the idea. (Amazon link for the book.)

Gunnerkrigg is the tale of a girl going to a strange boarding school, full of unacknowledged supernatural secrets. It has a strong aura of mystery and fun, anime-ish art with bold lines and bright colors. I thought it worked rather better in print, given some very colorful printing and the fact that picking up this thick volume means you can run through storylines faster. My 10-year-old daughter also enjoyed it.

The book takes you into the development of a mysterious conflict between the court and the nearby mystical wood. It mixes in characters from various mythologies. It's held together by the young girl main character's chutzpah, and I like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment