Tuesday, October 21, 2008

It ain't December yet, but read her anyway

Metafilter posted about Adam Cadre the other day, whom I'd never heard of. His story December is well worth a read...it's about the oddest girl in a family of odd characters. Read it and tell me if you don't find the whole thing expanding in your mind afterward:

Then it was just a matter of figuring out which story to tell first. And that was where things got sticky. Because after thinking about it for a few days I finally decided that most of the family stories just wouldn’t work. Too many of them are kind of... well... pointless, when you get right down to it. Just Julie being Julie, or Jan being Jan. Which is all good fun when you’ve lived with these people all your life, but probably isn’t very interesting to anyone outside the family. Probably? Definitely. I’d actually told most of these stories to my friends and they’d usually just go, "Umm... yeah, okay, thanks for sharing." The only story that I could remember always got a reaction out of people was—
Why, this one, of course.

No comments:

Post a Comment