Sunday, March 16, 2008

The lesson of Mr. Crabs

I'm recording some paper notes of mine, with random ideas. Basically, I write ideas in whatever notebook is handy, and mostly I'm pretty good about recording them later...but sometimes a notebook sits around for a while before I sift through it for the gold.

Here's a bit of gold dust from August 2006 that I found this morning:

Spongebob's boss Mr. Crabs is a great character because he's a fundamentally
nice guy whose good intentions are completely overwhelmed by his insane greed.
You know he'd sell you out for a dollar, and you still love him for it.
I'm thinking that he can be a model for a type of character, one who has a terrible weakness. In his case though I'm captivated by what a jolly fun character he remains. Honestly, I can see him selling my kidneys on eBay.

It's important to convert time spent watching Spongebob into highfalutin' literary ideas when you have kids. Keeps you sane.

No comments:

Post a Comment