Monday, January 30, 2006

I like this song: Down Among the Dead Men

I've been singing this song a lot lately. I heard it at the UT Madrigal Dinner for the first time; it was the finale song for the footmen (the male choir) in the play. I like it because the range isn't hard to master, and it's catchy. And it's an authentic drinking song dating back to at least the Revolutionary war.

After I heard it, I went looking for the lyrics online, and found this page, which also includes the music.

The chorus of this song is hard to resist, sung in a hearty tone:

Down among the dead men
Down among the dead men
Down among the dead men let them lie.

Then you read about it and you find out that "dead men" in this song refers to empty bottles littering the tavern floor. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment