Friday, May 14, 2010

Real Translations of Names of Popular Thai Dishes

When friend Mikael demanded "one each" of the Thai dishes listed here at a dinner, famous writer Top Changwatchai (winner of the 2001 Lyttle Lytton contest), provided the real meanings of the names....and I thought his contributions were worth sharing. Therefore, with Top's permission, we have these translations By A Certified Thai Person:


As a public service, I now give the *real* translation of the names of these ten dishes:


10. Kai Pad Med Mamuang Himmapan (Stir-Fried Chicken with Cashew Nuts)
Real translation:  Leftovers with Mystery Meat

9. Por Pia Tord (Fried Spring Roll)
Real translation:  Sea Pork with Oxen Hearts

8. Panaeng (Meat in Spicy Coconut Cream)
Real translation:  A Little of This, a Little of That, and a Whole Lotta Love

7. Som Tam (Spicy Papaya Salad)
Real translation:  My Wife Ran Off With My Best Friend, and I Sure Do Miss Him

6. Moo Sa-Te (Grilled Pork Sticks with Turmeric)
Real translation:  She Got the Ring and I Got the Finger

5. Tom Yam Kai (Spicy Chicken Soup)
Real translation:  Tom Wrecked My Car, Shot My Dog, and Stole My Wife

4. Tom Kha Kai (Chicken in Coconut Milk Soup)
Real translation:  Tom Returned Her

3. Kang Keaw Wan Kai (Green Chicken Curry)
Real translation:  Fried Keaw Wan Kai

2. Pad Thai (Fried Noodle)
Real translation:  Spaghetti

1. Tom Yam Goong (Spicy Shrimp Soup)
Real translation:  Here's a Shout-Out to Tom, a Great Drinking Buddy and the Best Takraw Player This Side of the Andaman Sea




1 comment: