Sunday, April 25, 2010

Milestones

It's a day of milestones. For example, we now get to have an openly gay character in Archie comics. Also, today I finished The Magicians.

This is a book I expect to read again...in fact, I'm thinking about setting a little reminder to myself to read it again in a year or so.

Fun themes include numerous references to a Narnia-like fantasy world, and a magic school that provokes comparison to Harry Potter, but with lovely differences that make it seem a great deal more mature. I haven't digested those ideas yet, but it's great fun.

There's even a sequence in the book that reminded me strongly of Dungeons and Dragons, and gave me a visceral sense of how awful it would actually be to be lost in dark tunnels full of monsters, no matter how much magic might be at your fingertips. 

The book has what I can only describe as a highly mature attitude to the concept of magic.

So this is my off-the-cuff reaction post about The Magicians. It's one of those books that's so fun you wish you could forget it and read it again right away...if that made any sense at all. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment