Sunday, April 04, 2010

Castle Panic is as good as I remembered

I totally lied when I wrote, about Castle Panic, that I "planned to pick up a copy as soon as it was available." It's a $35.00 game and I'm a cheapskate, so I did not hurry. But my 12-year-0ld was in a hurry as soon as he saw it at Dragon's Lair. So we cut a deal and split the cost. We've played one game so far, and it was great.

It's a quick play, and it supports 1 to 6 players. That means solo games as well as 2-player. Not many games are good for two players, but we found it to work well.

This game has some neat design elements. The art is good, and I like the 3-sided monster counters that you rotate when you damage the monsters.

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous11:38 AM

    Wow, that looks pretty fun.

    "Players must balance the survival of the group with their own desire to win."

    Interesting...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a lot of success and fun playing this game with the kids in Will's second grade class. The cooperative gameplay options are especially helpful when playing with kids of different ages or ability, as it keeps everyone invested and though some may do better than others, they have a team goal to beat the monsters.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I didn't realize you'd bought a copy, Doug.

    We tried the Overlord option this past week, where Ethan played all the monsters. I almost beat him, but lost with just a few monsters left. It was really tough in 2-player with the Overlord option.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We've talked about kids playing this game, but I think it's really versatile in appealing to a wide age range and working with 1,2,and 3-plus players. Also, when I said 'not many games are good for two players' what I should have said was 'not many games play well as 2 player and as 3-plus player games.'

    ReplyDelete