Monday, November 16, 2009

500 words a day, for 60 days: getting started

A little while ago I set up a new writing goal. I decided to write 500 words a day for sixty days. I've done bigger goals before, but this one feels right for right now. 500 is enough to not be intimidating, and I usually end up with more when it's all said and done.

I have to keep changing these goals. I'm usually trying to write every day, but I need a metric of some kind to keep me honest.

As I write this, a couple of days in advance of its publication, I've done 21 days, and I'm very happy with my consistency. The good thing about a number goal is it's hard to game. The bad thing is when you need to do some editing and your work doesn't fit the wordcount umbrella.

2 comments:

  1. Good for you!

    I think it's also a smart idea to announce the goal AFTER you've made some significant progress toward achieving it, but before it is completed.

    Should I nag you to ensure that you're keeping up? As a friend, of course.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I might try this too.. I love to write, but feel a bit overwhelmed at the thought of doing so on a regular basis.. I really have found inspired writing to be the most effective.. I wonder how disciplined writing would affect the style..

    Kate

    ReplyDelete