Saturday, July 26, 2008

Princess Bride Quote-Along at the Alamo Drafthouse

As soon as I heard about the Princess Bride Quote-Along at the Alamo Drafthouse (wow, local icon food/drink/movie place actually has a listing on Wikipedia, that's neat), I knew it was the perfect event for our wedding anniversary. What could be more fun that going to a movie theater with a bunch of other fans and shouting out the words to a classic movie? And what's more quotable than The Princess Bride?

It was more elaborate than I expected...they had goodie bags for us, with bells and whistles and bubbles and inflateable swords, and a little guidebook telling you how to use all the various props. I wasn't too into following their rules, but waving the props around was fun. I suppose this is the same vibe people get from the Rocky Horror Picture Show...which I never got into...but extended to other movies; the Drafthouse does quote-alongs for several different films.

Strange luck: several folks from my work were sitting behind us at the show. And this was after I'd just been to see The Dark Knight at a company-sponsored showing at the Bob Bullock Texas History Museum's iMax theatre. I love how small Austin can often feel. I'm forever running into people I know in odd places around town.

No comments:

Post a Comment