Thursday, August 20, 2009

_Sporting Chance_ by Elizabeth Moon

Elizabeth Moon was at Armadillocon this past weekend, so when I bumped into this book
at the local library, I picked it up. It had a space-opera sort of cover -- a spaceship, a hot-air balloon, and the back cover blurb sounded fun.

Elizabeth Moon was at Armadillocon this past weekend, so when I bumped into this book at the local library, I picked it up. It had a space-opera sort of cover -- a spaceship, a hot-air balloon, and the back cover blurb sounded fun.

It was fun. It was a fast-paced space romp distinguished by having a woman space captain as the main character, helming a plucky rich lady's yacht crewed by a bunch of ex-military types. It turned out to be the second in a series of books about space captain Heris Serrano. Serrano made a great viewpoint character, capable but with plenty to worry about.

I like this setup: basing your book around a single spaceship large enough to have five to ten colorful characters on it, and pack a few surprises, is a fantastic plot device.

The book developed a lot of tension by the end and I was on the edge of my seat. I recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment