This is good. I didn't even realize it was a Straczynski when I grabbed it ... I just figured it was yet-another-retelling-of-Superman's-origin-from-scratch, and ever since Superman: Red Son, I've been really liking those.
I complain about people restarting the superhero story from the origin all the time when it happens in movies -- it seems egregious that we have another Spider Man movie coming out that is a restart. But I'll take these retellings of Superman, as many as you want. Perhaps it's because the story is so well known that the retellings always seem to have nice new spins on them.
Also, they provide a single storyline in one volume -- I don't even want to get started trying to collect the main DC Superman continuity.
- Scenes of Clark Kent trying out for pro football (every position)
- Scenes of Clark Kent wowing a tech company with his brain
- Flashbacks to Ma and Pa Kent that were not at all sappy
- Changes to why Krypton went bang
- Some of the same edge we saw in Supreme Power